The PlayIt Software Users Facebook group provides a much faster response to questions. Please consider joining.
Start a new topic

Internet Broadcast plugin with microphone

Hi - I'm using the internet broadcast and microphone push to talk plugins with PlayItLive.

The microphone settings have been a bit strange, but I have configured the microphone plugin to my USB microphone.

If I broadcast the playitlive mainmix to my audio stream, then you cannot hear the microphone.

The way round this is to select "headphones" as the playback in the microphone plugin, and then stream the "headphones" feed to the streaming server. This allows the microphone to be broadcast. But it feels a slightly sub-optimal way of doing things. It also means that any other noise omitted by the computer (a notification or other windows noise that gets picked up through the headphone feed) also gets broadcast into the stream.

Any advice much appreciated!

Try this checklist:

1) Open Control Panel then Sound, with PlayIt Live producing output.

2) Click on the 'Recording' Tab. There should be movement in the 'LEDs' by the Virtual Cable. If there isn't, this is why you're not hearing anything. If there's no movement try setting it to 'Default Device'. But please before you do note the settings in case you need to put it back. 

3) Click on the 'playback' tab. You should also have movement in the LEDs there as well.

4) You don't need Audacity, it over complicates things. Download and install the PlayIt recorder (it's free)

5) Open PlayIt recorder and choose 'Virtual Cable' as the source. You should then be able to record, and can automate recordings if you want. 

That's how it works for me - but please make a note of your settings before changing, different systems may react differently.

Simon

1 person likes this

I'll start with the disclaimer that I've never used a "virtual cable" but I'm familiar with the concept.

I thin you need to set everything on PlayIt Live to play to whatever the virtual cable is called and then select the virtual cable as both PlayIt Live's streaming source and the input to Audacity.

As an alternative, if the computer as a Realtek built in sound card, have a read of this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

It's written for Windows 7 but works much the same for Windows 10

Also this is helpful if Audacity won't play nicely.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001194.htm

Well I've spent another few days, remotely configuring both users and still no dice, I can't even get it to record in Audacity from the virtual cable so there must be something I am missing along the line.

Thanks Simon.

By way of an update, the analog mixer/audio interface works but I cannot for love or money to work out the right settings with the virtual cable on the other laptop (the one where it is just USB mic and headphones into front of computer)

Very odd.

It should do, yes ... 

1 person likes this

Brill, thanks Simon! Do I not have to send anything to the Audio Cable (from wherever)? Will it just sort of "work"?

VB Cable is just a neat way of having an extra 'source' that's available to record - if you can't find any that work it'll almost certainly fix the problem for you.
No, you don't set it up within Play It Live - you just run the installer in Windows. It will then appear as a source in your sound settings, in PlayIt Recorder and PlayIt Live.

I'm pretty sure there's a demo version of it, suggest you try that first ... 

1 person likes this

Ah thank you both! Do I need to set virtual cable up within PlayIt Live at all? (I get the input into the PIL recorder - I think!)

I use VB Cable VB-Audio Virtual Apps (vb-audio.com) 

This is donationware and works fantastically well, it gives you an extra 'virtual' audio output. I then use the (free) PlayIt Recorder plugin to record the stream with the Virtual Cable as the source. Works really well. 

I think the problem with recording using a USB microphone and the mic mix plugin is that there is no "physical" input to the computer that has that mix on it. The microphone is a sound input to the computer (using the soundcard built in to the USB microphone) but PlayIt LIve targets computer sound outputs (so you can listen on headphones) and combines the sources to "main mix" which the built in streamer can stream. 

This main mix also wouldn't be available to B.U.T.T. or similar for the same reason as Audacity can't record it, that it doesn't enter the computer on an input.

You could look at "Virtual cables" which could potentially help. 

Also there is sometimes a "stereo mix" source available in recording that can be enabled (Realtek sound cards do this). 

Edit - I am dealing with two separate presenters each doing it a different way, remotely. For the USB scenario, I can definitely hear the right mix on the stream (just done it), I just can't record it. If I used BUTT would that record the entire mix?

Hello

Daily request time! So my presenter with analog mixer - happy, presenter with USB solution - happy!

I still cannot fathom how to record the mix (presenter and music) in either Play It Live recorder or Audacity? It seems I can do one or the other but not both. The USB scenario is definitely set to Play It Out Main Mix - am I missing something obvious please?

Thanks Mark - it was the PlayIt Main Mix that was throwing me - I will set everything to go BACK to the mixer and then take the source FROM the mixer for Broadcast. Hopefully it will record that way as well - thank you for clarifying though, really appreciate that :-)

@Kyle, there is no need to use the mic plugin if you have a mixer. The streaming plugin needs to use your usb soundcard as its source, set all the players and quick carts to the usb soundcard and any other source to the mic plugin (it doesn’t matter what but ideally it will be silent). Don’t select main mix on the streaming plugin.

1 person likes this

@Mark Hi Mark, were you able to comment further on how I should set up Main Mix vs just Mic input? (Sorry for asking again, don't mean to mither)

Login to post a comment