The PlayIt Software Users Facebook group provides a much faster response to questions. Please consider joining.
Start a new topic
Answered

broadcast

I have just downloaded this software in order to create and broadcast a radio show.

What i dont understand, is that play it live broadcasts where and how?

Sam broadcaster and radio dj whi i recebtly tried to use where using shoudtcast i beleive

thanks

Best Answer
Michael, Taking the example of BUTT (as linked above), BUTT takes audio from a soundcard and streams to a Shoutcast or Icecast server. I've not used them, but for a few streams and experimentation there are free Icecast or Shoutcast servers (Google will find them). In the simplest form, take the audio from a soundcard fed by PlayIt Live and put that audio back in to a soundcard input which is the source for BUTT. A mixer in that loop would be useful if you wish to add a microphone.

Hello David,

Icecast inside your network is not the answer.

The key thing is that you need an Icecast server on the public Internet.

That will not be in the 192.168.1.x address range.

I really don't recommend port forwarding and a server on your playout PC. That is asking for trouble.

The streaming needs to be by an (Icecast or Shoutcast) server provider (Listen2myradio or whoever).

Your Icecast server on your home network is fine for use at home but that's all. Use a public server for others to listen.

Another low cost option seems to be 

https://streamuphosting.co.uk/web-radio-streaming/

There isn't anything wrong with your setup as such, it is just that it isn't using an Icecast server on the public Internet.

While I don't recommend it, as a technical point, port forwarding on a BT home hub may well work.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8790/~/how-do-i-set-up-port-forwarding-on-my-bt-hub%3F

You would probably need to set up a new  rule and forward port 8000.

At the very least, if you are going to do this, get a Raspberry Pi for the Icecast server. That way when it all goes wrong you can wipe it all and start again !

Hi Mark ,, Finally got it sorted. It was an ip issue. I was trying to link with my external ip to a remote server (I told you I am a dummy - LOL). So the stream is now .... our server to Icecast to L2MR to the internet. www.papa-d.uk .. It remains  for me to say thank you so very much for your help

Glad you got it sorted David.

Thanks you again Mark .. It was fairly simple in the end. There's a link on the Listen2myradio interface (Link to our server) I licked on that and the site generated an ip/port/mountpoint for Icecast .. I entered those into the playit plug in and off we went.. It would help if Icecast would write an help file that doesn't require a NASA physicist to to understand .. or perhaps I'm just thick .. LOL

id advise anyone not to use a home network as a shoutcast server for 2 simple reasons.

1) your home broadband wont hold more than say 50 listeners and then it will cause buffering.

2) more listeners the slower your broadband will be.

far easier to get a free shoutcast server or get one off ebay,